Medical to the remote

This Blog is all about the work of God. Nothing we do is without the knowledge of our Father. He is the soul provider for everything we do.
We are Mordegai, Toinette, Suzaan, Gideon and Anton Rossouw from Namibia-Africa. . This Blog is all about our lives here in Cambodia while Suzaan works in South Africa. We are real Farmers from Africa and we love life and what it have to offer and enjoy it day by day.

Mordegai travels to remote villages, doing much needed medical work ,where no other doctors go, with local pastors.

Toinette is at home with the boys. Gideon is no longer with us but Anton will finish with Hope school this year and start online classes .Toinette joins FGC Community Link Cambodia to the villages close by, teaching local children in an after school setting and also women about Health Issues in a village setting.

We consider us Asians as we live such a long time in Asia, eating rice as a staple food and not meat......

Our motto in life comes from a dear friend:

With common sense and God we
can accomplish a lot

Robin Wales




Thursday, May 7, 2015

Wish I was a surgeon......Apo saga - May 07 2015



Was wondering why I was not allowed to do outreach this week, and now I know. Apo, my paralyzed friend, is in need of serious wound care, and here I am, available for a whole week. Nice job.......

This is kinda series over the week.
Took some friends there who know how to deal with serious bed sores like this. To my surprise they never saw something like this, whatttttt??? Well always time to teach professionals something new,hahahaha. Architect self proclaimed missionary/healthcare worker, need to retrain professionals!!!!! Started of the evening by letting my friend cut away all the bad flesh on one of the wounds. As an EMT it was his first go on a wound like this. His wife is a Midwife/Nurse and she knew how to do this. Cutting done, with a sketchy blade, as it became blunt, out came the nice dressing all the way from the West. Good stuff. They reckon you can leave it on for a week,whattttt???? in this weather, noooooo......it will rot underneath. Well, I am open to learn something new.

This one is on his tail bone

Another one on his hip
The next day, I came there, the first thing  mum told me was:"Took the dressings off cause it stinks."There you have my point for putting a dressing on for a week.....
It was a hard evening to work. The chanting in the village was overwhelming, it was beyond hot, and the flies was hungry. Mum try to slap the flies away, while I try my best to work as fast as I can in order for the flies not to carry us away. While dripping with sweat, could just as well took a bath, we finished the dressings. This time good old school stuff that work just as good. Always refer back to my Philippine days of working.

The next time I visit, a storm was brewing. The wind picked up and underneath the house, I could barely see Apo, cause of all the dust. Nope, no dressing tonight in this weather. How can you keep a wound clean in a dust storm???

I was greeted by this massive soft gangrene on the right

After cutting it out


This morning when I came there, I was greeted by a rotting smell, that I am so familiar with. Gangrene is making its way out of one of the holes. No wonder Apo had such bad fevers the week. He is already on antibiotics and I just hope it helps.
Had to rick myself for serious pretending, to be a surgeon again!!! Why is it that I always find myself in such rotting circumstances, and loving it????Cutting was bad and had to open a new hole up that was linked to another one more down , on his bumm. Finally I could open the hole and cut away all gangrene in order for the wound to heal. It is a very nasty place as it is right next to the rectum, and makes cleaning difficult. We need to be extra careful now when Apo have a nr.2.
Mum was helping with gloves on off course and walking off and spitting, when things are to hard for her. This girl comes a long road with caring for her son. Super mom and dad rewards is in order for these two. She was cutting gauze for me to clean, like a real assistant. Nice to have her around.



I just came back from Apo and after 5 hours of cutting, it already looks better. We can just pray that this will get healed.

Did I say that I love doing this..........


No comments: