Medical to the remote

This Blog is all about the work of God. Nothing we do is without the knowledge of our Father. He is the soul provider for everything we do.
We are Mordegai, Toinette, Suzaan,Gideon and Anton Rossouw from Namibia-Africa. . This Blog is all about our lives here in Cambodia while Suzaan works in South Africa. We are real Farmers from Africa and we love life and what it have to offer and enjoy it day by day.

Mordegai travels to remote villages up in the far North of Cambodia, doing much needed medical work ,where no other doctors go, with local pastors as well as the Department of Health of Ratanakiri.

Toinette is at home with the boys. Homeschooling Gideon is a task not for sissies, while Anton is in Eli school. .She joins FGC Community Link Cambodia to the villages close by, teaching local children in an after school setting and also women about Health Issues in a village setting.

We consider us Asians as we live such a long time in Asia, eating rice as a staple food and not meat......

Our motto in life comes from a dear friend:

With common sense and God we
can accomplish a lot

Robin Wales

Sunday, March 28, 2010


This is a time for new outreaches and to meet new people. I went to 2 new places that I did not visited before. It turned out to be such a blessing and I felt refreshed working with these people. We watched 11 people got baptized in Pigalungan and that by itself was a miracle. It was great to go there again and was accompanied by many new faces. We visited Lorenzo again. He is the fellow that has a very big sore under his heel and its there already for 3 years. This time it was no joke. He was busy dying off the infection and we had to be drastic in our approach. The plan was to bring him with us and have him for an operation right away. I explain to him that he does not have a choice as there are already gangrene plus cancer in the foot. God definitely have a plan for this man’s life otherwise he would have been died already. We could help a lot of people. Never before so many people came. I was so glad to have Manny and some of the girls there to help. Lorenzo set off already early morning ahead of us on a buffalo. By 6am it was our turn. Today these new guys showed our old guys a trick or 2. Man was I tired. I thought that walking these mountains would get better, but never. Lorenzo said that he had to walk some parts, as the buffalo could not. Man that must have hurt him a bit.

Back in Davao. Lorenzo went straight to hospital. I phoned Dr.Deniega, an old friend of mine. When he saw the leg, he said we need to amputate. I was expecting it, but need confirmation. On Monday the operation was done. I was on Lorenzo’s side all the time. It was such a privilege to be there in the Operation room.

After one week, Lorenzo is doing well. He will go back home next week and looking forward to that. Pray that we can also help him with an artificial leg later on.

We came back last night from a trip my friend named:" Rescue Lorenzo". We drove 3 hours, walked a 6-hour walk in 3,5 hours, ate our lunch and another 2 hours further stopped and waited for Lorenzo. The people send a message via bush telegraph to him that he need to come. He was on his way, or so everyone said. Then his mum came and said that he stopped further up river and wanted to rest and his body is too painful to continue. They are traveling by raft. After further talking and asking how far we realise its too far to walk as it was to late already. This place is far and its wild country with lots of rebels walking around. The only thing we could do was to pray with Lorenzo's mum. We asked God to release him of his pain and by His intervention save him. It’s all up to our God. We tried to make sure that he gets the Good News of our God for the last time but could not. Please pray for him as he is in severe pain. They said he fell of a horse as well and his leg is swollen up a lot. His stomach as well as his body is swollen. He has Malignant Malanoma that already spread to his limfnodes.

While walking back yesterday, I was praying that our loving God need to take him away as he is in such pai. We could leave him some meds but it will just help for a while. We really wanted to see him so bad but its better if he go to a better place without pain. God was good to protect us in this marathon. Manny and me walk the whole way where Ps.Casas and Lydia took a horse back. Our bodies are painful and we are tired but that is what it takes to go out and find the "Lost Sheep".

We are on our way over there again by next week Thursday. I don put my hopes high to see him but if that happens I will be glad. I cannot imagine in what agony he need to be.

To God all the glory

It was 4am and we just finished watching movies in Pigalungan. It was almost light and sleep did not come easy. Lorenzo’s mourning and groaning kept me awake most of the time. He is in absolute agony. Earlier the night I went over and brought him some coffee and food, as they do not even have food to eat. My heart was broken for this young man.

Setting of this time to Pigalungan was with lots of anticipation as we did not receive news of Lorenzo , so I assume he was still alive. All the guys from MMC came with me. It was nice to be a lot of guys and it was a chance from all the girls that always come along. It was only Lydia that came along, as she is a big help in doing Health Care. We set of in nice hot weather and made our way to Pigalungan. The road was tuff but I was so proud of everyone to come along and did this walk with me. We helped each other to make it a memorable trip. Here is some of Gary’s letter he wrote about the scenery: “I saw His glory in creation. What majestic beauty on those mountain ridges! The way the mist would enshroud them, the early morning sun would highlight them...... And oh how they would reveal the waning strength of at least one grey headed man!”

Datu Marcos sends a guy to go and get Lorenzo in a village nearby. It was too unsafe for us to go. He came an hour later by raft. I was so happy to see him again but was broken to se his body in so much pain. We gathered around him and made sure that he has Jesus in his heart. This time we will make sure as this will be the last time we would have the privilege to be with again. Datu Marcos was pleading with him to accept Christ and told him that our God is the only one that can still help him. We are sure that the Lord is in his heart and I told him that we would talk again one day in heaven, then we will understand each other better. We thanked God that we could make sure about one man’s salvation.

We watched Christian dramas till 4am and tried to sleep. At midnight I walked over to Lorenzo and gave them food and coffee. We talked a bit as he was in such pain. I wish I could do something for him but there was nothing I could do. We had our little clinic in the morning and Uncle Bob was doing painting of each one walking by. Everyone was helping to make this event good. Lots of hands make work light. The atmosphere was so godly. Gary again:

“I saw His glory in the Pigalungan people. Swimming, floating down the river and playing with the children is strong medicine for my soul. When I am with them, I become a child again. I leave behind some of the adult mindsets that can make you old before your time and recapture a measure of the delight and thrill of just being in the moment. Laughter doeth good like a medicine.
And then there are the adults. There is something beautiful or noble.... and so very REAL about people who live simply and endure hardship. I saw it etched in the faces of the elderly. I saw it in the men who carried their companion Lorenzo. I saw it in the eyes of
Lorenzo himself, one made old by the ravages of sickness. There is a glory in mankind, even fallen mankind, that reflects their Creator.”

For the last time we gathered around Lorenzo and say our goodbyes, as this was final. Two of his friends carried him in a hammock to his final resting-place. It was with agony on his face that he climbed in the hammock and the men made their way as fast as possible to the village. These guys are tuff and will not stop halfway but want their friend to be as comfortable as possible. They remind me about the story of the paralyzed guy whose friends brought him to the Lord to be healed. We need good friends that care for us.

We had a wonderful time between friends and it was good to spend time with them again. This place will always be on my list of: “must visit places”. The road back was hard and hot but we all made it alive, some wearier than others did, but that does not matter. Durain made us full of energy again, although it was only 3 of us eating. Yummy.

Ten day later we received a text: ”Lorenzo’s stomach burst open and he died!!”. We could only imagine what horrible pain he had to go through. The absolute horrifying situation the village had to go through, seeing him die that way. We could only thank God that we are sure where Lorenzo is going. Thank you Jesus for taking him away from all the pain. We count us privileged to do this work and be His servants.

"" Jesus’ mission was not chiefly a crusade against disease (if so, why did he leave so many unhealed in the world and tell followers to hush up details of healings?), but rather a ministry to individual people, some of whom happened to have a disease. He wanted those people, one by one, to feel His love and warmth and His full identification with them. Jesus knew He could not readily demonstrate love to a crowd, for love usually involves touching.” Fearfully and Wonderfully Made by P.Yancey & P.Brand

No comments: