Medical to the remote

This Blog is all about the work of God. Nothing we do is without the knowledge of our Father. He is the soul provider for everything we do.
We are Mordegai, Toinette, Suzaan, Gideon and Anton Rossouw from Namibia-Africa. . This Blog is all about our lives here in Cambodia while Suzaan works in South Africa. We are real Farmers from Africa and we love life and what it have to offer and enjoy it day by day.

Mordegai travels to remote villages, doing much needed medical work ,where no other doctors go, with local pastors.

Toinette is at home with the boys. Gideon is no longer with us but Anton will finish with Hope school this year and start online classes .Toinette joins FGC Community Link Cambodia to the villages close by, teaching local children in an after school setting and also women about Health Issues in a village setting.

We consider us Asians as we live such a long time in Asia, eating rice as a staple food and not meat......

Our motto in life comes from a dear friend:

With common sense and God we
can accomplish a lot

Robin Wales




Sunday, March 28, 2010

Bibot


While visiting Junjun, his mother told me about another friend of her, Bibot. His foot is also very bad and he has diabetes. He walks outside without a slipper or shoe and got a wound underneath his foot. It spread rapidly and by the time we saw it was already in a terrible state. We tried to clean it but I took him to the hospital later as this was far too serious for me.

When doc. Dienega saw him he said the leg need to be amputated. He took his time and he explains to them what to do. He explains that he want to amputate the leg underneath the knee as there was already gangrene in the foot. This was serious, as he does not want Bibot even to go home. It was a hard decision, as he had to say if he wants his leg or not. The choice was his but we know that it will be better to amputate. Well, at last they said yes and we admit him in hospital yesterday afternoon. They scheduled him to be operated on today at 5.30pm.

What was amazing is Dr Dienega explaining to them what will happen and why he want to do it. He took the time and explain very nice and in the finest detail to his wife what is the situation. He is so sweet talking to his patients.

I took a chance and ask if I can watch and see how the operation is been done and surely he said, yes. So this afternoon I am joining the surgeons to Operation Room and will experience a real operation. Was only dreaming about this before but never would I thought it would come reality? The chief of surgery was asking me,"why I would like to watch." He said that I will be able to do this operation myself, soon. Well, that will be the day, hahahahaha. I am really looking forward to this and will make a video of this to show to Bibot later. It would be good to be with him there and experience his trauma with him all the way.

Please pray that the operation will be a success and that his diabetes will subside.

16 Oct’01: I want to share my wonderful experience with accompanying the doctor to the Operation Room. First of all I was waiting for the doctor to come to MMG hospital and he did not came. He phoned me and told me that the wife does not want to have the operation. I talk to them again and they realized that is the only option. Well phone the doctor again and so he came and we could began the operation.

Bibot was not afraid at all and I could talk to him while they injected him with anesthesia. It took a while for him to sleep and then everything was in action gear. They scrubbed the leg and cleaned it very good. I was so close that I could take a good video of everything they did. First of all Dr. Dienega and his assistant took time to pray before they start. Then he started to cut. It was a very interesting time seeing him cutting away layer after layer of meat to get to the bone. All the veins and arteries were carefully closed either with burning or tied of with string. I was amazed how many muscles there are in the leg.

Lots of blood but that did not bother me. We had a good time talking while he was busy operating and I could even asked a lot of "simple" questions. After all, I want to know what is happening and was very interested in every thing. Now I have appreciation for their work. It took a lot of cutting away before the bone was finally exposed. It was cut of by a piece of wire and then trimmed with a handsaw and rounded of in perfection. It was like doing carpentry with chisel and all. After washing it clean the closing up was on hand he did a fine job and so quick.

All and all it was a fine job and I thanked him and we part our ways. I am so glad I could see that and told the family that he is fine. Of course, the family got the rest of the leg in a box, neatly packed just for them to discard somewhere. I do not know what they did with it. Hopefully they buried it somewhere. Bibot is doing fine and is at home. The doctor is coming to my home this morning to check on him. He is of good cheer and is full of hope for the future. We will help him to get an artificial leg so that he can start walking as well.

After about 2 months of preparation for the leg it was time for Bibot to go to Sisters of Charity. This is a place that help Amputees and Physical Handicap people to get artificial legs and all sorts of equipment to make life easier for them. The very ones working there is also handicap people. We have a good relationship as I work with them before. God is good to provide such God fearing people to me. Bibot did a lot of exercise while they adjusted the leg. The moment they put the leg on him , he blasted off , never to return. I remember the first time he walked in the slum again. He was nowhere to be found. He just went around and
around showing off his “new leg”.

Years had past and still Bibot showed his compassion in his community. He
ran for Councilor once but got sacked cause he do not have enough money to buy votes. When a corrupt official started to buy votes he lost out. Well we know who had to win.

Once you have diabetes it is there to stay. Bibot is still encountering the aftereffects of that. By now he is suffering with bad kidneys that do not want to work anymore. So he need to go for dialisis at 2 times a week. Still he is not put off by this. He is still fighting. God is with him as he is still fighting. Seeing someone like this keeps my fighting for the poor as they do not have anything to offer the rich and famous but to God they are precious.

May God protect the soul that search after Him.

Bibot is not there anymore. after my last visit to Agdao in 2009, his brother told me that he gave up on fighting with the diabetes. Such a sad story but we know that he is in a better place. May he be happy with his Father. He definitely still live in our hearts with us. I know that one day we will see each other again.

No comments: