Medical to the remote

This Blog is all about the work of God. Nothing we do is without the knowledge of our Father. He is the soul provider for everything we do.
We are Mordegai, Toinette, Suzaan,Gideon and Anton Rossouw from Namibia-Africa. . This Blog is all about our lives here in Cambodia while Suzaan works in South Africa. We are real Farmers from Africa and we love life and what it have to offer and enjoy it day by day.

Mordegai travels to remote villages up in the far North of Cambodia, doing much needed medical work ,where no other doctors go, with local pastors as well as the Department of Health of Ratanakiri.

Toinette is at home with the boys. Homeschooling Gideon is a task not for sissies, while Anton is in Eli school. .She joins FGC Community Link Cambodia to the villages close by, teaching local children in an after school setting and also women about Health Issues in a village setting.

We consider us Asians as we live such a long time in Asia, eating rice as a staple food and not meat......

Our motto in life comes from a dear friend:

With common sense and God we
can accomplish a lot

Robin Wales

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Aldrin Gesita

The number one prayer item tonight is to pray for Aldrin Gesita. He is 5 months old and have “Meningocele - Congenital Hernia” in which the meninges potrude through a defect in the skull or spinal column." Now his is on the skull. This means that he have a bag of fluid double the size of his head sitting on top of his head, full of brain fluid. He cannot sit or do anything cause this bag is to big. He also have some other congenital disorders. Emma came this morning and ask if we cannot help and sure we went to see. Big was the shock to see a small baby with such a big bag on top of his head. They are from Cotabato and farm up in the mountains. They said that they took the baby to the hospital when he was born but they said it was not serious so they had to wait till it got worse and then they came again. Now this time it is bad as there can be already brain fluid leaking into the bag.

They told us of how much it will cost and that cannot sell their only carabao to help their child as this is their only income. they do not have the money to even pay for the CT-scan which is needed to see what to do. We offered to help. I said that we go and talk to the doctor and come back. When we went to the hospital to talk to the doctor we met them outside and they just finished talking to the doctor. that was perfect timing and we thanked God for that. All they needed was a bit of hope and they took it and went to the doctor themselves. I was so proud of them that they did so good. They are very thankful for all the help. Bob and I went to get an schedule for the CT-scan and believe me this is no cheap affair. Well God is in control and we are just tapping into the Bank of the Heaven. We are going for the CT-scan tomorrow.

Please pray that the brain and the fluid inside the bag is not in communication with each other. If not then it will be a simple operation. Ask God to save this little boy's life and that He will be in control of everything. Ask God to encourage this family and provide for them while they are in town. Thank God that we can have the privilege of helping such a child.

I am attaching a photo of Aldrin but please be aware of whom you show it to. You maybe shock to your toes, but remember that is God's eyes this boy is perfect.

I want to give you some feedback on the situation of Aldrin. On Friday we went to the doctor and after running around trying to get the CT scan films we finally made it to him. that was after Bob was almost a nervous wreck on the back of the bike and me riding like hell driver in traffic. Well we see that God's timing is always right. the doctor had some bad news for us. We thought that it was not so bad but when a friend of mine explain to us some things we know what the situation was. The doctor was telling the parents that this is a high risk case and that i will be very difficult to operate on Aldrin. He was asking the mum if she want to have a operation and she said , yes. She said that they cannot wait so long here in Davao cause they came for the operation and they really want it to happen. He said that the changes are not good but she still said that it does not matter. they want to proceed.

The doctor explained to them that there is a blood supply in the bag and that some brains already passed through to the bag. He is scared if he cut the vein the baby will die. He said that they can do 2 operations and first try to drain the fluid from the head and then try to operate. This is a very risky operation but if the parents are willing he will do it. He said they need to come back by 27 May for a workup and schedule. Now we thought that we had 2 weeks to pray, till this morning.

On our way to the Badjaos the mother stopped us and asked us to come to her house. Aldrin had a very high fever and I help them to control it. After a couple of minutes he was ok again and Bob and I went to look after another couple of patients. At almost 4h30pm one of the relatives of Aldrin came and told us that Aldrin died in hospital. I immediately went to hospital and look for myself. the mother said that he ahd a fever and that he also had a convulsion and just died. She was very upset and was crying a lot. I helped her to get the baby out of hospital and they took him to the funeral home. We looked him over and his extra head was really purple. It looked like if there was a lot of bleeding underneath the skin. This morning there was puss out of the one opening and maybe some infection passed through his bloodstream. Well we do not know why but all we know is that God is in control.

SO tomorrow I will go with them to their home in the mountains and help them to get there and hear from them when the funeral will be. They are such good parents . I told her that they are super parents taking care of their children very well. Bob came with me to the funeral home and we both could help with just our presence there. Much more we cannot do. We can only give God's love in such a way that they cannot refuse it.

Everybody was crying when we arrived and the father was very worried. He was so confused about everything. He was asking me why his son died. What happened and why? Man I wish I had all the answers ready for him, but I did not had them. All I could comfort him with was that I was sorry. God knows best and He is in control. Such a loving family and they lost one child. So sad to see all the brothers crying for their love one to be taken away. Aldrin look so peaceful while in the coffin and you can only see his face. They deflated the sack and only put a nice cloth over it so that you cannot see it.

It was good to see the people of ALdrin again. Everyone were very tired and the mum and dad looked like they did not slept for a couple of days. It is always the same on funerals. They need to entertain lots of people and never get rest. They gave us so much to eat and showing off their skills as cooks. the men chopped up a whole pig and made it into very nice dishes. Well we had a good meal. We also met up with everyone in the small community which include the Barangay captain and all his fellow workers. they quickly organize a trip back for me to pull some teeth and we will go again in June. We feel that we can go and serve a community and give back to them what we have. They are such beautiful people to work with.

The funeral was a sad part as the parents had to say goodbye to a child. The mother really took it hard but was comforted by family members and I also had to help cause she was just tired and fainted. Try to tell everyone it is ok if the whole community is inside the house! well it is hard to see. The children took the cross and adults the coffin and they walk the mile or so to the little cemetery. That was so good as the community participate and everyone had something to offer. Here everyone help each other and bare the cross together. The captain is a big churchman himself and he also encourage the parents to trust in god for the future. I also had to say something and with stutters I told them that God loves them. I encourage the parents that they loved Aldrin and that they did the best the could do as parents. That boy died a happy boy cause the parents loved him so much.

The mayor of the nearby town donated a small house that they build over the tombstone and it looked very nice. This is only to protect the grave as they do not put him to ground but in a little tomb.

With full stomachs and loads of fruit we began our journey back again . this time we had Michael himself behind the wheels and we did low flying down that bad roads. I got Bob to join me on the roof and he had a time of his life riding a wild bronco.!!! He was hanging on for dear life, ducking for branches over the road and trying not to choke on the dust when another jeep past by. It all made for an enjoyable journey. In the bottom of the big hill they cooled of the brakes and big clouds of smoke gets out because of the heat. Our trip in the bus was very tyring and we arrived back at home by 9pm. Tyred and dusted we went to bed. what a day!!

Because we were willing to help this family, far away from Davao, I was invited to start doing Dentistry in their community. I went there once a month for 3 years. We build up such a good relationship with local Health Workers that we could also reach out to other villages around Illustre. God was using this incident to His glory. After many years of reaching out to this community they started to build their own Health Center and all the ladies of the Health Department got training from a private hospital in Davao.

We were privilege to help a community help themselves. Still years later we are still friends and I occasionally visit them and still pull some teeth in their community. Because of Little Aldrin we are still bind together. This community is doing so well that they also build their own little Health Clinic and serve their people better.

Praise God

No comments: